Symbols of place


Since we began our peripatetic lifestyle (I had to look it up too), I began marking my mode of living by wearing bracelets that had an association with the place. For Barwon Heads I've tried something new: I bought some beads from a local shop and made my own. 

  • The bone coloured, consistent shapes symbolise simplicity and earthiness - a desire for our lives here on the coast.
  • The blue and green are about the sea and the river; defining dimensions of our new home.
On the board ...
  • The brown leather with the anchor shaped latch was for Seaport, our most recent home in Launceston.
  • The blue leather is for when we were (and are) on the Sunshine Coast - Maria's photoblog when we lived there was called The Colour of Blue.
  • The trusty black leather band gets donned whenever I head into Melbourne. It has been on and off my wrist for many years now ... Fossil makes hardy stuff.
  • The wooden surf bracelet tends to last for only 12 months and gets replaced every winter when we are in Byron Bay. It symbolises our commitment to be mobile, and was always worn when in the caravan. See our yurting blog
  • And the one that started it all ... the small beaded bracelet came from a market in PNG and got worn often during the years I spent going backwards and forward over the Coral Sea. 

Comments

colduthie on instagram